What is a Carer’s Assessment?
Carers are entitled to an assessment in their own right when they provide regular support. Generally this assessment is completed at the same time as the person you are caring for is being assessed. The assessment can be completed on another occasion by a different support worker or by a support worker from the Carers Centre.
A carer’s assessment provides you with the opportunity to establish what you do as a carer and reflect on what help would benefit you personally, physically and emotionally and improve your well being and quality of life. The assessment is free and does not take into account your financial situation.
Your carer’s assessment may identify that the person you care for may require more assistance which would trigger a further assessment of their needs.
What kind of help could a Carer receive?
A range of information, advice and support has been developed locally to help you with lifestyle choices and make decisions. Following the carer’s assessment you may be able to receive the following practical and financial help:
- Sign posting and supported access to other organisations who can support you to help make your caring role easier.
- Take a break: there are a range of opportunities and services to give you a break in your own right from a few hours to several days. This could be taking advantage of a range of free recreational respite offered by Telford and Wrekin to compliment your health and well being.
- Carers Direct Payment Award: following a carers assessment you may be able to apply for a one off yearly payment to help you take a break from your day to day caring role.
Will I have to pay?
As a result of a carer’s assessment you may have identified needs. Some services for carers are free.
If you are require services to support the person you care for you may have to pay a contribution towards the cost thorough the Fairer Contributions Policy. This will be explained to you at the time the assessment is undertaken.
How do I receive a Carer’s Assessment?
You can receive a carer’s assessment in the following ways:
- Speak to someone at Carers Centre on 01952 240209
- Request one here contact us
- Email email@example.com
- Speak to your Social Worker/Assessment Worker who assessed the needs of the person you care for or ask for an assessment by contacting the Access Team on 01952 381280 or visit http://www.telford.gov.uk/